UK expats

Relocating and living abroad

Are you a UK national living or working overseas? Our international bank account can help your financial affairs run smoothly.

How we can help

Banking for expats

  • Easily manage your money with our international bank account, which you can open before you leave the UK
  • Settle transactions at home and abroad using a range of currencies
  • Multi-currency accounts help you manage the risk of exchange rate fluctuations
  • Send money back home using our international transfer services.

Savings for expats

  • Short and long-term saving options with flexible access
  • Saving for a contingency plan gives you peace of mind
  • Save for retirement while abroad - you may be able to continue paying into your UK pension and benefit from tax relief1.

Buying and renting property abroad


    If you’re trying to find a property to buy or rent abroad, there are two main options. Either track down an agent based in the country you want to move to or use a UK agent that specialises in that market.

    Andy Bridge, Managing Director of APlaceInTheSun.com, says: “If you want to see the whole market, then there are several multi-country property portals, such as RightmoveOverseas.com, as well as ours. Alternatively, you can search on a country-specific portal, such as Kyero.com in Spain.

    “You’ll be put directly in contact with the in-country agent who will then send further details and coordinate a visit to the property.”


    Remember that the conveyancing process in most other countries is significantly different to the UK's. That’s why it’s important to have an expert to help you. For example, much of Europe uses the notarial system. A notary is a government official who processes the property sale, negotiations and ownership transfer. This is quite different from the UK, where each party has their own solicitor to handle the sale.

    Peter Esders from overseas property lawyers Judicare, says: “Many places don’t have leasehold other than for commercial property. So, if you buy an apartment – which is normally leasehold in the UK – you’ll buy part of the freehold instead. This means you’ll own a share in the common areas of the property – much like ‘commonhold’ in the UK.”

    More advice on buying property abroad


    Make sure you find someone who is independent and not acting for or recommended by the seller, developer or estate agent. They should understand the law of the country you are buying in, as well as the law of your own. Peter Esders of Judicare, says: “For example, literal translations from the local language may not reflect the actual situation and could mislead you. Your legal representative also needs to be familiar with ‘foreign’ buyers. Expectations of a British person buying a property in Spain are very different from that of a Spaniard buying in Spain, for example.”

    More information on legal advice


    “There are several aspects to consider,” says Andrew Watters, a director of accountant Thomas Eggar LLP. “If you move abroad and rent your home out while you are away, then all or part of the available relief from Capital Gains Tax can be lost. This is because the property is no longer your main home during that period.

    “A careful decision needs to be made therefore as to what to do with the property if the absence from the UK will be long term and a return to the UK is unlikely.

    “Any income earned from letting a property out while you are abroad is subject to income tax in the UK and you have two options for dealing with this. The first is to get your letting agent to withhold the tax and pay it on your behalf to the HMRC. The other is register for the ‘Non-Resident Landlord Scheme’, receive the rent gross, deduct certain expenses and pay tax on the balance.”

    More information on taxation


    “Fixed-term renting doesn’t differ that much around the world; it’s the terms and conditions that are the variables,” says Wendy Perez, Department Head Residential Corporate Services at Knight Frank.

    “These include the differing levels of deposit, fees, contract terms, break-clauses and references. For example, you often have to pay your rent many months ahead in Dubai. And in Hong Kong you have to prove you’ve paid to have your curtains cleaned and that your air-conditioning contract is paid-up before you can move out.

    “In the UK, the landlord pays most of the agent fees, in Hong Kong they’re split between landlord and tenant, and in the US the tenant usually pays.”

Your tax obligations

You'll need to inform HM Revenue & Customs of your plans to leave the country. You may still need to pay UK tax, even if you’re non-resident, in cases such as receiving income from renting a property in the UK.

You should also spend some time investigating your tax obligations in the country you are moving to – for most people, the tax system in the country in which they live and work is the one that takes precedent.

You'll also need to review your current financial arrangements and decide whether they remain appropriate. For example, while you may want to continue putting money aside for the future using the same sorts of assets – such as cash, fixed-income assets, property and equities – you may need to change the way you hold them. For instance, only UK tax residents can open Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs). Be prepared to take professional and independent advice on financial planning.


Thinking of moving abroad?

We can help you make the most of your international finances - call us on +44 (0)1624 684316* or chat to us

Alternatively apply for an account online.2